Ok next up, Gingerbread Cookies! What's Christmas without it in Sweden? They even have ready made dough you can purchase for about 4 SGD which is what I've used. Yes, I've taken the shortcut haha but if you really want to make it from scratch, which I promise I will next year, here's the recipe that came with the funny dough, which appropriately was titled *already been chewed.
Fred's famous ABC* cookie recipe
3.5 cups all-purpose flour
1.5 teaspoons ground ginger
1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 cup molasses warmed
1 teaspoon baking soda
1.5 teaspoons warm water
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
Part 1 - The Work
- Combine the flour, spices and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, cream the vegetable shortening with sugar, then beat in the egg and molasses.
- Dissolve the baking soda in warm water and add to the molasses mixture, beating until smooth.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture, cover and chill for 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180-200 degrees celsius.
- Grease two baking sheets, then on a floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch.
- Use the cutter to make shapes in the dough, (Try not to eat too much of the raw dough)
- Bake the cookies for 10-15 minutes until they are brown around the edges.
If you like, you can decorate the cookies with frosting and put them on a decorative plate in plain view. Watch people investigate their newly-baked goodness, notice the bite marks, and then move along. Then, eat all the cookies yourself!!