While we were on holidays in Rome, we bought some local roast chicken mix which I tried to reproduce because I think its quite nice to roast your own chicken, so here's my take on it with some modifications from Nigella's site, which incidentally is called Ina Garten's Perfect Roast Chicken.
När vi reste på Rom, köpte vi någon krydda för rostkyckling. Jag prover att göra det igen när kryddan är slut. Här har jag ta från Nigellas webbsidan med några modifikation.
1-1.3kg whole chicken
Fresh thyme and rosemary (dried ones will work too)
Salt and pepper
1 whole lemon
1 head of garlic
1 medium onion
2-3 carrots, peeled and cut into thick strips
- Wash and dry the chicken thoroughly inside out.
- Season well the cavity of the chicken with salt and pepper, then stuff in the fresh thyme, garlic and the lemon, which you should cut into halves.
- Rub olive oil, chopped rosemary and thyme, salt and pepper all round the chicken.
- Oil the roasting pan lightly, arrange the carrots in 1 layer at the bottom. Quarter the onion and lay it in all four corners so the chicken can rest on them. Place the chicken breast side up on the roasting pan.
- Preheat the oven to 280 degrees celsius and when its really hot, put the chicken in for ten minutes, then turn down the temperature to 200 degrees celsius for about 60-80 minutes, until the chicken is golden brown, and when you poke the chicken at the thigh joints, the liquid runs clear.
- When it is done, let it rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- You can serve it with the chicken, potato gratin and green vegetable mix (leeks, carrots, mushroom, red pepper stir fry with some butter and season with salt and pepper).
This was made using dried herbs, roasted together with potatoes and carrot fries that are seasoned with salt and pepper.