This is one of those cake that I normally passed by cafe window display and never thought I will be able to make it - but surprisingly I did! Give it a try too, my friends who tasted it asked for the recipe and one of them has manage to produced one using mangoes instead.
One word of warning though, this does take some time. However, I'm sure somebody will surely appreciate this as a birthday cake ;)
Det här är en tårta som jag normalt ser på ett kafé och tror att jag kan inte göra den! Men, jag har gjort det och det var ganska enkelt. Mina kompisar som har smakade det frågade efter recept och en av dem har gjort det med mango istället.
Obs! Det kan ta tid om du vill göra den här tårtan men jag är säker att om du gör den för någon speciell person, de kommer vara tacksamma för det.
4 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
500g cream cheese
1-2 boxes of strawberries
300-400g whipping cream
50g melted butter
First you need to prepare the Sponge cake layer:
- 4 egg yolks, beaten till light and fluffy with 20g of sugar
- 4 egg whites, beaten to soft peak first, then add 100g of sugar and continue beating to stiff peak
- Mix the two egg mixture together till blended, add in 100g of sieved flour and mix until well combined.
- Add in 50g melted butter at the very last to the mixture and combine it well. Pour into a lined and greased 23cm round mould, bake at 180 degrees celsius for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the cake immediately from the mould to cool when its done, otherwise it might become wet from the condensation.
- Once it is cooled, slice the cake vertically into halves to be used during the assembling of the cake.
- Cream 500g cream cheese (should be at room temperature) with 40g sugar until smooth, you should not see any lumps.
- Place the following in a bowl over a pot of boiling water and stir until it thickens: 2 egg yolks, 60g sugar, 160g strawberry puree (you just blend fresh strawberries with some water until you get a smooth mixture), 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Prepare 2 tablespoon of gelatin powder with 80g of water, mix it well over the double boiler until it dissolves and add it to the strawberry mixture until well combine. Place this mixture in a cold water bath to cool it down to room temperature before adding it to the cream cheese mixture.
- Add 150g natural yogurt to the filling mixture, making sure to combine it well. Lastly, fold in 200g of whipped cream.
- Using the cake mould I used for baking the sponge cake layer, first lay one layer of the sliced sponge cake at the bottom. Then arrange sliced strawberries on top of this layer.
- Pour the cheese filling over the strawberries, then top it with the second layer of sponge cake. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- When you are about to serve it, unmould the cake and cover it with enough whipped cream before topping up with more strawberries. You can pretty much decorate it accordingly.
- This cake can be freeze, just thaw it in the chiller at least the night before serving it. Otherwise, it should keep in the chiller for a couple of days.