Monday, August 16, 2010

Cucur Udang - Vegetable and Prawn Donuts

Beansprouts and Prawn Fried Donut

This is one of those snacks you buy at Malay or Indian food stalls for your afternoon tea break or just something to munch. I use canned beansprouts nowadays since I find they work ok for my pad thai but I have problem using all of them up in one go. I love fresh beansprouts but since they are quite expensive here I've resorted to the alternate choices and hence, I also use recipes that doesn't depend too much on the crunchiness of fresh beansprouts. I didn't think Johan will like it but in the end, we ate this up instead of our dinner, so they were pretty good :). I adapted this from Lily's blog but I find the frying part a bit tedious, especially when it gets stuck to the ladle or the pot. I got the donut shaped ladle from Daiso in Singapore but it kinda worked well only for the first one. Well, until I get the inspiration to try it again, this recipe will suffice for now.

Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup rice flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon tumeric powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon chicken granules
1 cup water
1 1/2 cup bean sprouts
1/2 cup spring onions - cut into 1 inch lengths
2-3 chili padi, diced finely
10-15 prawns, diced into large cubes
Oil for deep-frying

Mix for cucur udang

Steps
  1. Mix all the dry ingredients together first, then add in the liquids one by one, making sure there are no lumps in the batter. Once you have done that, add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well.

    Batter for fried vegetable and prawn
  2. Heat up the pan with the frying oil over medium heat, and as Lily suggested, to heat up the ladle, drain it and place the batter on the hot ladle before putting it back to the pan to fry it. It only worked for my first one, and the rest of the batch didn't turn out as good as the first one (the looks, but taste wise is still good). Maybe I didn't use enough oil, but I will let you know when I try this again.

    Heating the scoop for Cucur Udang

    Cucur Udang
  3. Fry until golden brown throughout, drain on kitchen paper and eat it while hot!

    Vegetable and Prawn Fritter





2 comments:

  1. Wow, this look so yummie, like the idea of having the veggies and prawns...the mold is so interesting as well...love the step-by-step pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe thanks for your compliments, I like blogs with step by step pics too,helps a lot I feel :)

    ReplyDelete