3 chicken breasts or 1 whole chicken, cut into large chunks
3-4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 onion, quartered
1 clove of garlic
2 cm of ginger, peeled and minced
6 dried szechuan chili, cut into halves if you like it spicier
1 teaspoon szechuan peppercorn
1 star anise
2-3 green chili pepper, or bell pepper, cut into chunks of equal size like the potatoes
2-3 tomatoes, quartered (optional)
sesame seed oil
enough water to cover the chicken and potatoes
2 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- Marinate the chicken in 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine and a dash of pepper and a teaspoon of sugar for about 10-15 minutes.
- Heat up about 4 tablespoon of cooking oil over medium heat and add in the szechuan peppercorns to fry for about 30 seconds to season the oil. You shall smell the fragrance of the peppercorns and remove them when done.
- Add in the chicken to brown for a while and then add in the ginger, garlic, chili and onions and mix well.
- Pour in the water and about 4 tablespoons of soy sauce or to taste, the star anise and simmer the chicken for about 3-5 minutes before adding the potatoes.
- Turn down the heat and cover to simmer for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are about done. Add in the green chili peppers (and tomatoes if using) and simmer for another 5 minutes. You can adjust the taste with salt, pepper and Shaoxing wine according to your preference at this point.
- Just before serving, sprinkle some sesame seed oil, stir and serve.