I am planning to make carrot cake, so finally found some daiko/white radish/white carrot or rättika as they call it in Swedish. They were selling for about 5 SGD/kg..so I bought about a kg of it.
Had some pork ribs, carrots and corn in the house too, do decided to make a healthy soup out of this. One thing I remember my dad telling me is to fry the radish for a bit first, it helps to get rid of the slightly 'vegetable' taste of it. Another, of course is to blanch the pork ribs with hot water, before adding it to the soup.
300g white radish/white carrot/daiko
1 medium size red carrot
1 medium size corn
300g pork ribs
salt to taste
- Blanch the pork ribs in hot water for about 5 minutes, drain and set aside
- Peel and slice the carrots into 2cm slices. Chop up the corn into 4 portions.
- Heat up a tablespoon of oil in Le Creuset pot, and place the radish slices flat side down and fry for about 2 minutes each side. They should be slightly brown on the outer edges.
- Add in the pork ribs, and add hot water, enough to cover the ingredients.
- Throw in the red carrot slices and corn, cover and bring to boil. After that, let it simmer for about an hour.
- Before serving, add salt to taste. The corn and carrots should be sweet enough for the soup so you get a nice, light clear soup in the end. If your pork ribs are too fatty, remember to scoop off the scum and oil as you are cooking it.
- Enjoy with rice!