Saturday, November 7, 2009

Mince Your Meat - Steamed Minced Meat with Salted Egg

One of my favorite cut of meat is minced pork. Not sure why when people have been telling me that its cheap cut of meat they normally try to mix it in, but I'm ok with it! I find that it is versatile and can be transform into many forms, all of which I like :)

So here's my 'Minced Your Meat series', starting with my very own salted (chicken) eggs. I think duck eggs are difficult to find and to me, doesn't make that much difference, but I was very happy with the result of my first salted egg:


Salted egg


Ta-da!

Salted Chicken Egg
Looks good right? The egg yolk is so different, but beautiful :)


I tried the dry method which is coating the egg with salt all over after wetting it with Shaoxing wine from Lily's blog, but somehow I couldn't make it stick, except if I wrap it round with cling wrap. To be safe for my first attempt, I went with the traditional method of making a saturated salt solution by boiling water and adding salt until no more can be dissolved. Add a dash of shaoxing wine and some sichuan peppercorns if you desire, but I think I do without it the next time.

Cool down the solution before you add the egg, which should be washed and dried. Put the cooled solution into a tall container enough to contain the number of eggs you want to salt. for me, I took a clean plastic ice cream tub and added 3 eggs, pour in the solution till full. Then, since you will notice the eggs tend to float in the solution, use a clean plastic bag and add it to the top before you cover it and leave it undisturbed for 21-27 days in a cool dark corner. The longer you soak it, supposedly it will be saltier. Mine didn't turn out so salty after 21 days, so I will try it a bit longer next batch.The plastic bag sort of acts like a stuffing to keep the eggs submerged, but if you have a better solution, go ahead and use it, I think this works fine :)

So for the minced pork with salted egg, its simple:

Ingredients
Minced pork, accordingly to portion. The ration should be around 2 eggs to around 50-80g meat. This can serve two people as part of the dinner dishes.
1 normal egg
1 salted egg (don't have to cook it first)
Dash of pepper
1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
2 tablespoon hot water with a little bit of chicken stock powder if desired

Steps

  1. Mix everything together, mash up the salted egg yolk and placed on top of the mixture.
  2. The addition of water makes the steam egg mixture softer, more tou-fu like.
  3. Steam only when the water is boiling, for about 15-20 minutes or just place it over your rice cooker steamer when you are cooking rice.
  4. Eat when its hot, the salted egg should make it taste just right.





Steam Minced Meat with Salted Egg

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    My name is Michael, I'm a student from Hong Kong, but going to university in the UK. I was missing this particular dish, so was so glad to find a recipe online (with nice photos too.)

    Thanks, hope you're all well,

    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah thanks! I know how it feels like to miss a dish, I'm now in Singapore going to celebrate Chinese New Year here, will be catching up on the dishes I miss too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be good to have the salted egg white mixed in the meat leaving the salted egg yolk on top of the mixture.

    ReplyDelete