Thursday, November 12, 2009

Tom Yam Soup with Vermicelli - Tom Yam Soppa med Vermicelli

This is a classic thai dish and I recently had it at a friend's restuarant in Lund. She generously shared how to cook it with me, though I cook never achieve the same standard as hers, I think this comes pretty close to comforting my soul in this cold fall and my cold hands and feet.

I'm still working hard in perfecting my Swedish, so you will gradually see more and more Swedish popping up and I hope I will be able to post bilingual versions in my blog soon.

Tom Yam Soup with Vermicili
Tom Yam Soup with Fishballs
Ingredients
1 garlic clove, minced finely
1 onion, sliced into half moons
1 lemongrass, sliced into 1/2 cm pieces
2 chili padi, sliced
Cauliflower, sliced into florets (I really like them in tom yam soup and they hold their shape quite well. Somehow green leafy vegetables in tom yam soup is a no-no for me)
1 small canned of mushrooms
5 or more prawns
1-2 kaffir lime leaves, sliced thinly
2-3 slices of galangal
1 coriander, including the root cleaned thoroughly
1 tomato, cut into quarters
1 tom yam stock cube
lemon juice and fish sauce to taste
Vermicelli (these are dried white thin ones made from rice flour, they are rounded, not flat, but I think you can use any kind of dried noodles you prefer)
About 3/4 bowl of water
3 tablespoon of coconut milk

Tom Yam Soup Ingredients



 Steps
  1. Using about 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, heat it up and fry the garlic till fragrant
  2. Add in the sliced onions, galangal, lemongrass and chili padi and stir fry for a few seconds
  3. Pour in the water and heat till it comes to boil. Throw in the cauliflower, tomatoes, lime leaf, mushroom and coriander root.
  4. When the vegetables are about to be done, add in the coriander leaves, tom yam stock cube, lemon juice, fish sauce, coconut milk, prawns and vermicelli. Bring to a boil again until the vermicelli and prawns are done.
  5. Before serving, adjust the taste with sugar, salt and lemon juice to your liking. If you like it spicier, you can add more chili padis. You can also add fishballs or chicken or other meat if you prefer. A friend suggested Swedish meatballs, I haven't tried it yet but I will let you know ;)
                            Tom Yam Soppa 
                          Tom Yam Soup with Prawns
                             

                            2 comments:

                            1. tomyam passa inte med köttbulle 555

                              ReplyDelete
                            2. I tried this again today, and while I didn't use much coriander (as I don't quite fancy the smell of it), I added a bunch of them into the soup while cooking and it adds a very mellow taste/smell to the soup. So I would highly recommend you to use it to add depth to the soup!

                              ReplyDelete