Thursday, January 6, 2011

Bubur Pulut Hitam or Black Glutinous Rice/Sticky Rice Dessert or Orh Chook

Singlish Swenglish Bubur Pulut Hitam or Orh Chook

Alright, back to some Asian stuff. I thought I would find this under my Malaysian cookbooks but found it under a Nonya one instead. This is one of my mom's favourite dessert. I remember when we were still living in Toa Payoh, there was this lady who sells dessert off big pots in a semi-dry market. My mom loves to order it mixed with 大麦粥 (Bubur Terigu) and I've picked up her habit on this too. However, I just wanted a kinda of quick dessert the other night and made this since I made it a point to bring some from Singapore the last time I went back. It's actually quite a rich and filling dessert so, have it in moderation ;)

Ingredients (Serves 3-4)
125g black glutinous rice
25g white glutinous rice
2-3 pandan leaves
1 litre of water
400ml coconut milk
125g sugar or to taste
topping of coconut milk mixed with a pinch of salt (optional)

Singlish Swenglish Black Glutinous Rice dessert

Steps
  1. Boil the two glutinous rice with the pandan leaves and water in a pot. (According to Patsie Cheong, the white glutinous rice serves to help make the overall mixture smoother. You can also use some white glutinous rice when you are cooking ordinary rice porridge for the same purpose.) Reduce to low heat and cook for around 25-30 minutes until the rice are soft.

    Singlish Swenglish Black Glutinous Rice dessert
  2. Add the coconut milk and sugar and bring to boil. Serve hot or cold with the topping of extra coconut milk. I prefer mine without since it's already brimming with coconut milk but its one of those tummy-warmers dessert for me.

    Singlish Swenglish Bubur Pulut Hitam

Singlish Swenglish Bubur Pulut Hitam

No comments:

Post a Comment