Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Sambal Tofu Goreng (Without tempeh)

IMG_0395

I've always liked Malay food and this is one of those dishes I like to order when I am at any Malay store and I've never thought about making it myself since one of the ingredients - tempeh is not available here in Sweden. I've contemplated making my own and even got a sample of the starter from http://www.tempeh.info/, but I haven't got around doing it yet. I promise I will do it!

Ingredients
to grind
1 large onion
3 garlic cloves
8 dried chilli, soaked in hot water
1/2 thumb size galangal

for the dish
1 block of tofu, cut into cubes and deep fried until golden brown
1 large onion, sliced
1 lemon grass, sliced
1 large thumb size tamarind paste 
1 green chilli, sliced
6-8 prawns
a handful of green beans (I used the frozen kinds which works well in this dish)
1 box/can of coconut milk, about 160ml
salt and sugar to taste 

IMG_0386

Steps
  1. Blend the ingredients stated above until fine and fry it with 2-3 tablespoons of cooking oil in a pan over medium heat until fragrant.



    IMG_0379

    IMG_0388
  2. Add in the lemon grass, and the fried tofu until well mixed.

    IMG_0389


    IMG_0390
  3. Add in the coconut milk and let it simmer while you blend the tamarind paste with about 3 tablespoons of water, sieve to remove the seeds and add in to the pan.

    IMG_0391
  4. Add in the rest of the ingredients except the prawns and turn the heat down to low and let it simmer until it is almost dry.

    IMG_0393
  5. Add in the prawns before it's done and cook it through, adding salt and sugar to taste. It should be slightly sourish sweet and spicy, with a sticky sauce coating the ingredients. Serve with rice.

IMG_0394

No comments:

Post a Comment