Egg wash brush
Ingredients for the topping
750g potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
3/4 lightly beaten egg
2 tablespoon butter
250ml milk (may vary according to texture of potato)
Dash of ground nutmeg (optional)
Ingredients for filling
3 tablespoons oil
2 teaspoon minced garlic
3-4 dried chinese mushroom, soaked and sliced thinly
500g minced meat
60g frozen peas (thawed)
2 tablespoon oyster sauce
- Prepare the topping by mixing the mashed potatoes with the salt, pepper, egg and enough milk to obtain a creamy mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- In a pan, heat up the oil till its moderately hot and add the garlic. When it is slightly brown, add the mushroom and stir fry for about a minute. Once you are greeted by the delicious aroma of mushroom with garlic, add the minced meat and continue to stir fry the filling till the meat changes colour. That should take about a few minutes.
- Once you see the change in colour, lower the heat and add the peas, stirring continuously for about 3 minutes, then add the water, sugar, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar and pepper. Simmer till the water has been absorbed.
- Use a roasting pan or oval dish and put the filling in, pressing it down gently.
- Cover with a layer of the topping using the spatula. If you want to be fanciful, you can try pipping the topping on. Otherwise, a simple crisscross pattern can be made with a fork, but brush on the egg wash first, then create the pattern.
- Place it in the oven and cook for about 30 minutes. If the topping has not turned golden brown, just let the oven continue on top heating only for about 5 minutes (depending on how brown you want it to be).